From OakthorneWikiJump to navigationJump to search
- Rural neighborhood east of main Astoria, along the southwestern shore of Cathlamet Bay
- Formerly the site of a number of canneries
- Large Scandinavian and Finnish population
- Recreational boating area, accessing the bay from John Day County Park.
- Made up mainly of small (studio to two bedroom) to medium (three to four bedroom) single-family homes and small apartment buildings.
- Housing is occupied by a mixture of owners and renters.
- Many of the residences were built after 1980.
- Below average income neighborhood
- Income lower than 91% of U.S. neighborhoods
- 50% of the children here live below the poverty level.
- 30% of population are employed in sales and service jobs.
- 30% of population are employed in manufacturing and laborer occupations.
- 19% of population are employed in clerical, assistant and tech support occupations.
- 16% of population are employed in executive, management and professional occupations.
- 5% of the population are employed in farming, fishing or timer harvesting
- 8% Norwegian
- 8% German
- 7% English
- 5% Irish
- 4% Finnish
- 2% Mexican
- 95% English
- 3% Other
- 2% Spanish