Lords' Alliance Faction
"Though others may call us a Savage Frontier, we stand as shields against the tide of barbarism."
A shaky coalition of aggressive political powers, the Lords’ Alliance is focused on its members’ mutual security and prosperity. The Lords' Alliance is made up of the myriad agents of the Alliance's member cities: Amphail, Baldur's Gate, Berdusk, Elturel, Gundarlun Island, Iraebor, Leilon, Longsaddle, Mirabar, Neverwinter, Silverymoon, Sundabar, and Waterdeep.
The Lords’ Alliance is an association of rulers from cities and towns across the North, who believe that solidarity is needed to keep evil at bay. The rulers of Waterdeep, Silverymoon, Neverwinter, and other free cities dominate the alliance, and all lords in the alliance work primarily for the fate and fortune of their individual settlements.
Alliance agents include sophisticated bards, zealous paladins, talented mages, and grizzled warriors. Chosen primarily for their loyalty, such agents are trained in observation, stealth, innuendo, and combat. Backed by the wealthy and the privileged, they carry quality equipment (often disguised to appear common), including large numbers of scrolls scribed with spells of communication. Alliance operatives are often glory hounds, looking to gain a leg up on their counterparts from other alliance cities.
Goals and Philosophy
Agents of the Lords’ Alliance ensure the safety and prosperity of the civilized North by standing united against the forces that threaten civilization. They proactively eliminate such threats by any means, bringing honor and glory to their leaders and homelands.
Members of the Lords’ Alliance uphold the core tenets of the organization:
- If civilization is to survive, all must unite against the dark forces that threaten it.
- Fight for your realm. Only you can bring honor, glory, and prosperity to your lord and homeland.
- Don’t wait for the enemy to come to you. The best defense is a strong offense.
Agents of the Lords’ Alliance train at the highest level as they seek out and destroy threats to their homelands. They ght with pride for the glory and security of their people, and for the lords who rule over them. However, the leaders of the alliance know that the order will survive only if its members support each other, requiring a balance between pride and diplomacy. Rogue agents within the Lords’ Alliance are rare, but defections from the order have been known to occur.
Quests undertaken by agents of the Lords' Alliance might include the following:
- Eliminate a threat to the economy and prosperity of a city.
- Broker an alliance to ensure future security and prosperity.
- Retrieve a treasure or artifact for the greater glory of one’s city or homeland.
Agents of the Lords' Alliance in good standing might receive the following benefits:
- Alliance Business: Rank 1+. When visiting another city in the Alliance on the business of your own city, you may claim simple shelter and safe haven from the other city for the duration of your time there, free of charge.
- Mercantile Connections: Rank 1+. The Lords' Alliance is a mercantile as well as political alliance. For each rank in this faction, you may reduce the time necessary to Establish a Business by 1 per rank in this faction. You may also add a +1% to your Running a Business downtime actions.
Agents of the Lords of Waterdeep may expect the following benefits:
- City Incomes: Perk 1+. You receive a simple income for your work for the city, earning 5sp per full day of work you do. This is upgraded to 1gp per day at Rank 3, and to 2gp per day at Rank 10. Every 2 days of such employment also counts as 1 day of the Gaining Renown downtime action.
- Well Connected: Perk 2+. In a short period of time, those who work in the City of Splendors' bureaucracies and back rooms make a fine allotment of contacts and sources of information. You are considered to have established a Bureaucratic Information Network, at the Small size. This increases by one step for each additional Rank you gain in this faction; instead of increasing a Network by one size, you may also choose to establish a new Information Network at the Small size instead.
- Lords' Courts (Title): You are part of the Lords' Courts, who oversee the city's functioning, as well as the administration of its justice, headed by the city magistrates.
- Court Functionary (Rank 1+): You are a minor bureaucrat within the city's government. Clerks and archivists, court recorders and palace attendants, all help make the city function. You have the run of the closed-off government areas appropriate to your duties, and access to important figures of government as part of your work.
- Senior Functionary (Rank 3+): You are a senior functionary, with a small group of lesser functionaries who assist you in accomplishing your tasks. You can use your influence to help navigate the red tape of not only your own work, but of other departments in the city government as well. Your presentation of legal documents comes to near-perfection, as well; you gain proficiency with the Calligrapher's Supplies Tool Proficiency.
- Magistrate (Rank 7+): Your dedication to the city's well-being and to the laws of the land has not gone unnoticed. You have been made one of the city's magistrates, granted the black robe of office and working to ensure the laws of Waterdeep are applied equally and fairly. You gain the History Skill Proficiency if you do not already have it. You gain an additional 1gp on top of any City Incomes.
- Senior Magistrate (Rank 10+): You are one of the law-drafters and right-hands of the Masked Lords themselves. It is within your right to speak with the Open Lord at any point as part of your duties, or to address the Masked Lords as judged needful. Your long service is rewarded with a fine home in the Castle Ward, as well.
- Palace Diplomats (Title): You are one of the diplomats of Piergeiron's Palace, dedicated to representing the Open Lord and the city of Waterdeep in the best possible light. You may be stationed in Waterdeep at the Palace proper, or assigned to a ambassadorial post outside of Waterdeep.
- City Watch of Waterdeep (Title): You are part of the Watch, the order of policemen dedicated to protecting the people of Waterdeep from crime and corruption. See the Ranks under the City Watch of Waterdeep for more details.
- Barracks Rights (Rank 1+): Any member of the Watch has a right to take up residence in the city barracks. This provides a Poor quality Lifestyle while doing so.
- Waterdhavian Guard (Title): You are part of the Guard, the soldiers of Waterdeep who defend its walls - and the safety of communities for several days' ride in all directions.
- Lords' Agents (Title): You are an informal agent of one or more of the Masked Lords, or of Piergeiron himself. Your responsibilities are great, and your authority limited, but you know the identity of one of the Masked Lords and are often very aware of what is going on behind the scenes.
- Watch Members: See City Watch.