The spiritual power that wereravens learn to draw upon to heighten and fuel their supernatural abilities.
Essence Pool & Expenditures
A wereraven's maximum Essence pool is equal to (5 + Primal Urge).
- A wereraven may spend one point of Essence per turn.
- Wereravens who are in packs may spend one additional point of Essence per turn if they are in the presence of at least one of their packmates.
Electrical Disruption (Side Effects)
Spending Essence causes some effects into the environment. This power of Shadow tends to have a deleterious effect on delicate electronics and electrical systems.
|Essence Expenditure||Effect on Electronics|
|3||New generation computerized equipment stops functioning. Radio communication (including cells that do still work) is very static-filled.|
|6||Older generation computer equipment stops functioning. All radio communication is useless. Electronic equipment that isn't computerized starts to flicker and function poorly.|
|12||Electronic equipment stops working, and basic electrical systems begin to flicker and function poorly.|
|20||Basic electrical systems short out or explode in showers of sparks. Unshielded batteries are drained of their electricity without display.|
|30||All now-burnt-out devices begin to crawl with non-damaging displays of arcing otherworldly electricity|
- Recover 1 Essence when performing actions in accordance with one's Rookery archetype.
- When resolving the Rook-Crazed Condition, wereravens gain an amount of Essence equal to their Primal Urge.
- Wereravens with the Packbound Condition who go ranging in wilderness areas with their packmates under the full moon recover Essence equal to their Primal Urge plus one for each packmate who joined in the run.
- Lastly, and most disturbingly, as scavengers of the dead, wereravens may consume corpses raw in order to recover their Essence. For each health level consumed of a corpse, the wereraven regains a point of Essence. The older and more moldered the corpse, the fewer effective health levels it has.
When a wereraven runs out of Essence completely, he is said to be in the grips of the Lament, taking the Lamented Tilt (save that she occasionally hears the cawing of ravens and the flapping of angry wings).