Portland in Shadow
From OakthorneWikiJump to navigationJump to search
The city of Portland is a vast and dynamic city, a curious alchemical mixture of natural features, urban growth and cutting edge sociology and technology. Unsurprisingly, its Shadow reflects these traits in abundance.
Aside from the unique traits noted below, most of the areas in Portland adhere to the typical places that might be found in the Shadow, as noted in Shadow Landscape.
Ubiquitous Spirits of Portland's Shadow
- Temperate Rainforest Spirits: Naturals. The native environment of Portland is that of a temperate rainforest, a fairly rare biome in the world's ecology. The heavy rain it receives makes it a lush home for plantlife of a broad variety, and even in Portland's man-infested Shadow, those tree, fern and various animal spirits still make their homes.
- Rank 1 Spirits: eye eater (Rank 1 raven spirits), malkin (Rank 1 cat spirits), sweet-thorn (Rank 1 blackberry spirits), vermin (Rank 1 rat spirits), workers (Rank 1 ant spirits)
- Rank 2 Spirits: cunning mask (Rank 2 raccoon spirits), flameleaf (Rank 2 maple spirit), omen bird (Rank 2 death/owl spirits),
- Rank 3 Spirits: mongrel (Rank 3 dog spirits), trapweavers (Rank 3 orb spider spirits)
- Rain Spirits: Elementals. Spirits of rain and drizzle predominate the skies of Portland's Shadow. Though they tend to be individually weak (Portland almost never sees the kind of stormy weather that leads to the birth of storm elementals, for instance), they are quite numerous and powerful as a group. These spirits frequently war with the solar spirits who frequent the Willamette Valley for dominance of the skies.
- Counterculture Spirits: Conceptuals. "Keep Portland Weird" goes the saying, and that's just the way these spirits like it. Myriad spirits of countercultural and sub-cultural expressions make Portland their home: liberal politics, civil rights, queer activism, environmentalism and all manner of similar conceptuals find themselves quite at home here.
- Solar Spirits: Celestials. Strangely in a place that sees so much rain, Portland's Shadow has a powerful contingent of solar spirits who routinely wage war with the spirits of the rain for dominance of the skies. It is said that there is a reclusive court of solar spirits far in the skies above Portland, but it is so difficult to reach that no one really knows anything about them.
Beaverton & Hillsboro