Dusken Glade Downtime Rules
The following are the types of downtime activity permitted in the Dusken Glade campaign.
Equipment & Art
Cost: 1 day + half price of item in materials • Requirements: Appropriate proficiency and tools • Complications: None
- For each day spent crafting, you accumulate 5gp worth of the items final value, in terms of item completion.
- Multiple characters may pool their downtime efforts to craft a single item. This allows each craftsman to accumulate 5gp worth of value to the item per day thus spent. The DM determines a maximum of how many craftsmen can work on an item at a time, given the item and facilities.
- Each day thus spent grants you a 1gp discount on lifestyle costs (min 0gp).
Magic Items (Consumable)
Cost: varies • Requirements: Ability to cast spells or Alchemy supplies proficiency (for potions, dusts, etc), schema for item type • Complications: 10%
- Cost varies by item created:
Magic Items (Permanent)
Cost: varies • Requirements: Ability to cast spells, schema for item type • Complications: 10% per 5 tendays or fraction thereof
- Cost varies by item created
Magic Items (Material-Based Magic)
Cost: varies • Requirements: Appropriate proficiency and tools, schema for item type • Complications: 10% per 5 tendays or fraction thereof
- These are magical items whose powers come from what the item is made of rather than enchantments worked into it. Examples include adamantine and mithral items.
- Cost varies by item created:
Potions of Healing
Cost: varies • Requirements: Ability to use healing magic or Herbalism kit proficiency • Complications: 10%
- Cost varies by potion created:
Cost: varies • Requirements: Ability to cast spell being scribed • Complications: 10% per tenday
- Cost varies according to level of the spell being scribed:
Buying a Magic Item
Cost: 100gp + 10 days • Requirements: Settled area • Complications: 10% per tenday
- Generally, this action involves putting the word out that you're interested in buying items, and getting a list of currently available items. It is harder to secure specific items, however.
- The cost above is just to get a chance to roll to see what is available. Base Cost also includes a Wealthy Lifestyle as part of the expenditure, in order to impress potential sellers.
- Gain a +1 bonus to Resolution Check for each 10 days additionally spent.
- Gain a +1 bonus to Resolution Check for each 100gp additionally spent.
- Bonus cannot exceed +10.
- Resolution Check: Charisma (Persuasion) check.
- Seeking a Specific Item: If you are seeking a specific item, the item may be included among those available for sale if the Resolution Check result is high enough.
- Large Urban Areas: In large urban areas, reduce cost to search to 50gp. Bonuses cost the same. Additionally, gain a +2 to +5 bonus to the Resolution Check based on the size and magic of the area (Waterdeep and Silverymoon are +5, Baldur's Gate is +4, etc). The maximum bonus to the Resolution Check is still a +10.
- Price: Once it has been determined what items are available, determine the price for them:
Cost: varies • Requirements: Settled area • Complications: 10% per tenday
- Carousing involves a relaxing tenday of socializing, good food, and strong drink. It can be used to generate Contacts and Rumors.
- Cost is based on the strata of society:
- Lower Class: 10 gp + 10 days. Includes cost of Modest Lifestyle.
- Middle Class: 50gp + 10 days. Includes cost of Comfortable Lifestyle.
- Upper Class: 250gp + 10 days. Includes cost of Wealthy Lifestyle. May only be taken by nobles and others with appropriate backgrounds, or by those with a disguise kit and the Deception skill.
- Resolution Check: Charisma (Persuasion) or Charisma (Deception) check. May be used to generate Contacts or Rumors.
- Contacts: If generating Contacts, these are individuals of some impact in that part of town. Contacts can be named and listed by their type, or left undetailed to be added as useful and needed. A Contact can be used as an ongoing source of Rumors. They can also be used to get a favor, but doing so "expends" the Contact (though they can be re-acquired through Carousing later). (May have a maximum number of unnamed Contacts equal to 1 + Charisma modifier.)
- Lower Class: Criminals, laborers, mercenaries, town guard, and other folk who frequent the cheapest taverns in town.
- Middle Class: Guild members, spellcasters, town officials, and other folk who frequent well-kept establishments.
- Upper Class: Nobles and their retainers, guildmasters, merchant princes, and other community leaders who can be found at formal banquets, noble parties, state dinners, and the like.
Cost: 25gp + 10 days • Requirements: Settled area • Complications: Based on failed Resolution Checks.
- A tenday spent scouting, planning, and executing a crime, con, or heist.
- Choose your DC. The higher the DC, the more difficult the crime, but the bigger the payout.
- Resolution Checks: Must make three checks, at chosen DC. Dexterity (Stealth) • Dexterity (Thieves' Tools) • Choice of Intelligence (Investigation), Wisdom (Perception), or Charisma (Deception).
- All Three Fail: Character is caught and jailed. Must pay a fine equal to profit the crime would have earned, and spend one tenday in gaol or hard labor for each 25gp of the fine.
- One Success: Crime fails. Complication results.
- Two Successes: Crime is partially successful, netting half normal worth. Complication results if a Rival is crime or law enforcement.
- Three Successes: Crime is successful, gaining full value of heist.
Establish a Business
Cost: varies • Requirements: varies • Complications: 0%
- This action is used to establish a new business, using the Business Operation rules.
- Time cost equals 1d4 days per Skiled Worker employed, +1 per Unskilled Worker. This time is halved if the Business is Squalid or Poor, or doubled if the Business is Wealthy.
- Coin cost is one-half the Monthly Cost of the business.
- Once established, businesses run themselves, although owners may boost their success by taking the Work downtime action on behalf of that business.
Cost: 10gp (minimum) + 10 days • Requirements: None • Complications: 10% per tenday; add +5% per 100gp to stake
- A tenday spent finding the best betting locales, discovering the upcoming games or places, and getting invitations to them. Coin is the stake for the gambling; may choose to bet up to 1000gp.
- Resolution Check: Make three checks: Wisdom (Insight) • Charisma (Deception) • Charisma (Intimidation)
- Cheating: May choose to cheat, substituting one of the above rolls for a Dexterity (Sleight of Hand) test instead. Doubles base Complication chance to 20% however.
- DC for each is equal to 5 + 2d10.
- Results are based on total number of successes.
Harper Cell Development
This is used by Harper agents to improve the effectiveness of their Cell: building their connections with the rest of the Harpers, gathering additional Watcher informants, cultivating powerful allies to assist them, and beefing up the security of their operations.
Contacts & Favors: As a reminder, cell members may spend Contacts and Favors they have accumulated to increase their Investments in these traits. May use 2 Contacts, 2 Favors, or 1 Contact and 1 Favor to gain a point of Investment in Connections, Watchers, Allies, or Security.
Build Harper Connections
Cost: [Connections rating x10] gp, 10 days • Requirements: Must be part of a Harper cell • Complications: None
- Make a Wisdom check; may add Proficiency bonus if the cell has completed a successful Harpers Mission in the last month.
Build Watcher Networks
Cost: [Watchers rating x10] gp, 10 days • Requirements: Must be part of a Harper cell • Complications: None
- Make a Charisma (Persuasion or Performance) check.
- Failure by 5+: Lose 2 Watchers Investment
- Failure: Lose 1 Watchers Investment
- Success: Gain 1 Watchers Investment
- Success by 5+: Gain 2 Watchers Investment
Build Cell Allies
Cost: [Allies rating x10] gp, 10 days • Requirements: Must be part of a Harper cell • Complications: None
- Make a Charisma (Persuasion or Performance) check.
- Failure by 5+: Lose 2 Allies Investment
- Failure: Lose 1 Allies Investment
- Success: Gain 1 Allies Investment
- Success by 5+: Gain 2 Allies Investment
Build Cell Security
Cost: [Security rating x10] gp, 10 days • Requirements: Must be part of a Harper cell • Complications: None
- Make an Intelligence check (If proficient in Deception, Investigation, or Stealth, may add proficiency bonus.)
- Failure by 5+: Lose 2 Security Investment
- Failure: Lose 1 Security Investment
- Success: Gain 1 Security Investment
- Success by 5+: Gain 2 Security Investment
Cost: 10 days • Requirements: None • Complications: 10% per tenday
- Engage in fighting for sports viewing and betting.
- Resolution Check: Make three tests: Strength (Athletics) • Dexterity (Acrobatics) • Constitution with a bonus equal to the die roll the size of the fighter's largest Hit Die (does not expend Hit Die).
- May substitute one of the rolls with an attack roll using one of the fighter's attacks.
- DC for each roll equals 5 + 2d10.
- Results: Winnings are based on total check results:
Cost: 10 days (Modest Lifestyle minimum) • Requirements: None • Complications: None
- A tenday of relaxation. Must be at a minimum of Modest Lifestyle.
- During this tenday, the character gains:
- Advantage on saving throws to recover from long-acting diseases and poisons.
- At the end of this tenday, the character chooses one of the following:
- Restore one ability score that has been reduced to less than its normal value;
- End one effect preventing the character from regaining hit points; or
- Gain one Hero Point (level maximum applies).
Cost: 10 days • Requirements: A non-hostile temple or religious community • Complications: 10% per tenday
- A tenday spent in service to a temple or religious community, aiding in tasks or rites.
- Resolution Check: Intelligence (Religion) or Charisma (Persuasion).
- 10 or lower: Gain no Favors; gain one Hero Point.
- 11-20: Gain one Favor; gain one Hero Point.
- 21+: Gain two Favors; gain two Hero Points.
- Favors: Favors are promises of future assistance, of a type typical for the temple to charge coin for. This could be spellcasting (up to one Favor per level of the spell), services, equipment, community or political support, and the like.
- May accrue a maximum number of Favors from any given temple equal to 1 + Charisma modifier.
Cost: 50+gp + 10 days • Requirements: Access to a library • Complications: 10% per tenday
- With access to an archive or library, a character can find pieces of information. Libraries usually have categories, based on what information can be pulled from them. This is usually one of the knowledge Skills (Arcana, History, Nature, Religion) or magical lore (Spells or Schema).
- Resolution: Intelligence check, with a bonus equal to +1 per 100gp spent beyond base cost, to a maximum of +6.
- Lore: There are three kinds of Lore:
- Knowledge Lore: Each piece of lore is the equivalent of one true statement about a person, place, thing, or event.
- Spell Lore: Researching a spell successfully is performed at a penalty to the check based on spell level (–1 for 2nd-4th; –2 for 5th–7th; –3 for 8th and 9th), and requires a number of pieces of Lore equal to the level of the spell x2 (or just one Lore for a cantrip).
- Schema Lore: Researching the building plans for magic items is performed at a penalty based on the rarity of the item, which also determines how many pieces of Lore is needed: Common (-0; 1 piece of Lore) • Uncommon (-1; 2 pieces of Lore) • Rare (-2; 4 pieces of Lore) • Very Rare (-3; 8 pieces of Lore)
Hiring A Sage
Sometimes one doesn't have the time to perform exhaustive research. This is the function of sages – professional scholars able and willing to find information of use to those who can pay.
- Each sage has a weekly Rate in gold pieces, and a Research Bonus.
- As long as the sage is paid, they perform the Research Downtime Action for that tenday, without the character needing to do so themselves.
Selling a Magic Item
Cost: 25gp + 10 days • Requirements: A magic item to sell • Complications: 10% per tenday
- A tenday spent hunting for buyers for a magical item.
- Resolution Check: Charisma (Persuasion) check. If the character does not like the price, and chooses not to take the offer, increase subsequent Complication chances by +10% for each time this has happened previously.
Cost: 25gp + 10 days • Requirements: A target organization or location • Complications: 20% per tenday
- Infiltrate an organization or location for the purpose of acquiring information about it, from identifying important individuals to details of the location to resources used by the organization, etc.
- Resolution Check: Make three tests from the following options: Dexterity (Stealth) • Dexterity (Thieves' Tools) • Intelligence (Investigation) • Wisdom (Perception) • Charisma (Deception) • Charisma (Disguise Kit)
- DC for each roll equals 2d10 + the secrecy rating of the target (usually a number between 1 and 10). Add a cumulative +1 per previous tenday the spy has targeted the same target. This total drops by 1 per tenday the spy leaves the organization uninfiltrated.
- Results: Results are based on total number of successes.
Cost: 25gp + 10 days • Requirements: An instructor • Complications: 10% per tenday
- A tenday spent learning a new ability or talent.
- Language or Tool Proficiency: Learning a new language or tool proficiency takes 10 tendays, reduced by 1 tenday per point of the character's positive Intelligence modifier.
- Other: Other, specialized traits may also be learned through the Training downtime action, but those are specific situations or rewards.
- Exploits require training time that varies depending on their ranking, as follows. (Some Faction grant access to specialized trainers for Exploits; this reduces the gold piece cost in half.)
- A character must have more Exploits of a lower rank than they have of higher ranks.
Cost: 10 days • Requirements: A place to work • Complications: 10% per tenday
- A tenday spent working to earn a living. This does not represent a character owning a business, but instead seeking and finding temporary work, the quality and wages of which are hard to predict.
- Resolution Check: Make an ability check, using one of the following: Strength (Athletics) • Dexterity (Acrobatics) • Intelligence (one set of tools) • Charisma (Performance) • Charisma (one musical instrument). Results as follow: